198 Miles

Wednesday, March 10

All is not Lost

Energy is relative.
It takes energy to move my fingers across this keyboard. It would take energy if I were to get up and throw this laptop across the room. It would take a considerable more amount of energy to locate my professor in order to tell him that I simply could not complete that essay, my computer had unfortunately crashed in a bout with gravity. Ah the kinetic dragon can be a nasty one.
But I digress.

I missed a question on my reading quiz for Chem 1110. Chapter 7a. I said energy is released in the breaking of a chemical bond. But no way girl! the correct answer was B: energy is lost. It always takes energy to break a chemical bond. At least thats what it said in the corrective notes. And I totally agree. Though here is the thing - Prof is only asking the question from one side of the story. He isn't being fair to the recipients of the break up's energy rolling around out there in the big, big world.
Im still losing chemical energy right now as my hand beats across these keys. My heart is beating in my chest (I've always hated the word pumping in reference to heart pulsations.) and my stomach is breaking down that lovely cashew chicken stir fry from Gwinn. I'm losing it all - slowly.

But around me things are gaining. I move my glass from the floor to the bedpost and my loss is kept as potential energy in the very being of the cup and its distance from the floor. My body is releasing heat (While I myself stay at homeostasis, nice and comfy) down down into the floor. Maybe first floor Emmerson is somehow benefiting from my very being. Yes, that would be nice - I would love to be such the philanthropist that even my heat benefits those around me.

That is a joke.

Anyways. Sure, Mr. Professor, energy is "lost" in the breaking of a bond. Yet the term fits to loosely. A size nine show on a size six foot. It's not lost because whatever is around that microscopic relationship at the time will absorb said energy. It's all give and take. It's beautiful. When my heat leaves my body, I lose it. But my bed that I sit on, its gaining energy. Thermal energy. So really, the inverse of the situation proves my answer right. Yeah energy is lost in the break-up. But there is also energy gained.
(I know, I know. Anti-climactic ending. I've just been arguing the semantics of a test question this whole time. Maybe the next post will be more juicy and personal, we'll see.)

Anyways speaking of LOST, it's that time of night again. We're almost done with season 1, and I just can't get over Sayid and Shannon's relationship. I mean c'mon, really?





4 comments:

madi said...

I LOVE LOST.
im only on season three though.
we are addicted.
shannon is the WORST.
ugh.
luvukbi

Unknown said...

Seriously... And now I am freaking out even more. How did Sayid's feelings become my feelings? How did the sweat on Jack's brow become the sweat on my brow? Imagination. That is how.

Alison said...

true love for real

Becky said...

LOL .... oh Lyndsay. What a wonderful blog YOU have. I love your photos, too. I love YOU and of course ....... I LOVE LOST - every single season of it! (But, Shannon I could have done without ... and for the most part, LOST agreed!)
:0) Becky