198 Miles

Sunday, November 6

Thoughts from El Diablo

my shoulders are sore from pulling so close to my neck today. I've been sitting in this wooden chair for a while, and I've forgotten again to remind my body to not get so tense. When I am thinking, my shoulders pull together and jaw sets and my chin leans down until its intimate nearness to the vicinity of the table I am working on reminds me to pull up, pull up! again before I am unseemly in the public eye: girl, slumped on table, arms outstretched and still typing, drool.

Obviously my goal is to always be attractive.

I'm happily getting lost. In this other world. It's a world where characters have desires and are motivated by them in turn and the movement of words is everything. And it is melding into this world, this one where I lay somewhat prostrate on the cafe table. I am looking around and thinking: what is your desire, and where is your motivation? Is there a motivation?

and then

Oh look, I found it, you just hid it a little deeper here -- lift the covers of a late night text or a casually intimate question and all of a sudden people and characters are sitting maybe too close for comfort. But no no no.
that's not entirely true.

Because something burns brighter than what I am creating. I guess that is the curse/challenge/adventure of writing an art. The thing you love, the thing you chase, to know and to touch, it will always be outpacing you. And that is beautiful.

Just make sure the thing you love can return it somehow too.
A runner needs her water. 






No comments: