198 Miles

Monday, July 5

I wished to fly

We were walking by the water back to our car parked by the tram. We had just had the full Portland Blues experience, purchased by 12 cans of food and a lot of smiling. I wanted to dwell on the idea of a society dominated by hagglers. Goods for Goods, no longer paying homage to Mammon.
Becca looked up and said, "I have this friend, he traded everything he owned since when I first met him." She stopped momentarily to trail her hand along a chain link fence, "He started with stuff, and then started trading that stuff for other, more compact stuff like tools and knifes that would fit in his backpack. He consolidated. Then he traded more. Now all he really has left is his back pack.."
We piled into the subaru and drove home listening to mix CDs.


And now its time for a poorly written reflection:
Today I realized that everything is based on actions. Every relationship depends on the action and inaction of the words you use, the time you show up, the acts of love you commit to. This is not a subtle and intricately woven question concerning life. This is a frank statement that I may or may not even believe as truth, but regardless it is significant enough for me to write about now. I can think about my emotions and beliefs and how they translate to other people all I want - but the only way other people will realize anything that I feel is through action. Active expressing, active doing.


I wish to consolidate my words.

No comments: