198 Miles

Wednesday, June 1

I Squint to See Love

Snow happens softly in Oregon. 
We finally know what the cold rain looks like
when the white appears.
Solid.
But so soluble. 
It is a comfort to see the falling of the snow. 
Like so many desires
waking up and finding themselves suddenly tangible. 
Bleary-eyed but here;
present. 
A voice asking you to go on. 
Or the touch of a dreamed-up lover.
When I walk out in the snow
I am among the presence
of fully realized dreams. 
Squinting,
creasing my eyes; 
the only way to look up and see it all.
I am reminded of photographs in the family attic.
Within them all is a small child; a daughter.
In one she is sleeping; her head rests on the belly of a house cat.
In another she pouts with her arms crossed in mock adult-hood.
You get the picture. 
The daughter is the picture
until you squint your eyes.
Only then can you notice a constant companion, 
always a bow in her hair.
Colors combed in with exact precision.
Intentional softness.  

I am reminded of snow when I see her bows;
tangible evidence from the dreams of 
another.



No comments: