198 Miles

Thursday, January 13

Let's have a blogging party!

Today I was happy to drive outside of Seattle, for a moment.
In the car my friend, my current housemate of 2011, Tate Beers, she talked to me about her quarter spent in Australia. Its a changing thing, travel. But I hate to use that word, Change. Like you can become something you weren't before - something totally separate from your first being. Instead I hope its more like a widening and deepening of self. Unsounded depths! A reaching out to touch the edges of wherever you end, whatever that is.  Something John Donne would talk about, eyes threaded on a string.
The conversation transitioned to this idea of Past-Sick. Like homesick, different then being reminiscent. Its that immediate feeling that falls upon you when you know you've been somewhere in time thats really great, and the next phase doesn't seem to measure up in feeling. Oh the human, always seeking the ascent.

Have you been Past-Sick lately?


4 comments:

Megan Wantz said...

Nostalgia can be a terrible temptress. Always taunting you with silver lining of a past that once was. It's a beautiful thing though, not being able to remember the bitterness and only have an after taste of sweetness.

I like this post.

shawna no aware said...

The portuguese have a word for the feeling you are describing. It is called saudade.

Anonymous said...

i should have expected you were composing such a thoroughly interesting piece of work. much to think about here. you describe it so well.

Unknown said...

This picture makes me miss that old apartment of mine. Though not past-sick. For growth has been given to me from the Lord.