198 Miles

Wednesday, February 17

Thanks for being so honest.



We drove to Capitol Hill tonight. I didn't want to drive my car, my eyes were tired and my heart was nervous about the six pages I had yet to start - the deadline of tomorrow morning creeping closer all the time. Britt took the keys and asked me which button unlocked the door.
"Blue."
And then I opened the door and slid into the passenger seat and after a little trouble with shifting into reverse, we went forward. Upward to the Hill and she maneuvered the Ol' Subie so well. All the lights were winky last night, staring down from the tops of the now-familiar buildings. Maybe they were silhouetting the figures of people bent over desks in last minute attempts to gain one more foot on tomorrow. Maybe tonight they will do the same again. Everyone putting one foot forward for Morning. Sometimes I wonder how Evening feels, the girl with the potential to be beautiful but no one ever really looks twice.
Britt was right, I've been loving the women metaphors lately.

Well the lights and the people and the rooms were all far away, and Bon Iver sounded too good and too winter 2008 to really give the worried, hurried people much more thought.


No comments: